WA How to Correct Age on Incorrect Documents?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
21 April 2015
What do I do? My parents brought me here from Russia (in December, 2013) with the fake documents (the age is changed). Now I'm under DCP care, I told my carers, but they don't know what to do, so I need to ask a profec.

Legally I'm 14, but really I'm 17 years old (will be 18 in august). This causes serious problems with my schooling, I really need your help. And if I'll successfully change my age, what will be with my visa under immigration law (N175)?

Ivy

10 February 2015
Hi Victoria,

If you have come to Australia with fake documents, then I advise that you get in contact with your local Legal Aid office and see if they can help you. Fraudulent identification documents is a criminal matter so getting Legal advice is very important in this situation.

Tracy B

24 December 2014
Australia
Hi Victoria,

You, or your guardians/carer, have an obligation to tell the Department of Immigration about the incorrect information and to correct your age. This is most likely part of your visa conditions. Then it is up to the Department of Immigration to decide what to do about your visa based on this new information. They will most likely reconsider whether you continue to meet the visa requirements in light of this new information.

Like Ivy, I suggest you speak with your local community legal centre as well as a migration lawyer/agent.

Melinda Jackson

14 February 2015
Hi Victoria,

I also agree that you should seek immigration law advice before doing anything as this will almost certainly have serious implications for your current visa (in the worst case, visa cancellation) and/or future visa/citizenship applications.

Amending your personal records is done using a Form 424C with supporting evidence but I really do not advise you to attempt this until after you have sought advice.

Hope this helps.

Melinda