cancellation fee for travel

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

patrik6

31 August 2015
my wife booked and paid for travel to USA for October 2020 in march when it started to become obvious she put in cancellation request for refund
she was one of a party of 4 all booked and paid together she was advised that a fee of $1333 would be payable (trafalgar tours via a travel agent) the total cost was $6500
$1600 being qantas the balance land travel she requested the refund be paid by 30th june 2020 immediately she received a email to say any cancellations after
30 june would be subject to an additional 35% cancellation fee when pressing the agent why the refund was not paid by june 30 she was told no firm date was
given however the agentt had advised the other 3 that she was getting her refund by june 30 now what interests me is that in june the other 3 women were
advised by the agent they would be getting a full refund no cancellation fee when i asked the agent and said that was unfair he said thats what happens
when you go against the advice of a travel agent with 20 years experience from emails I believe the request from the agent was not made until july 20
question is does my wife have a case to persue the 25% cancellation fee despite it being in the terms and conditions of travel i fee there is a moral
obligation as travel was not possible to New York where the most travel was to be however realistically lega fees would outstrip the $1300
so i guess must be futile to persue?

patrik6

31 August 2015
No replies necessary i have decided to go legal on the advice of a governement dept no matter the cost