Australia's #1 for Law

Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

QLD Private Rental Bond Agreement - How to Get Money Back?

Discussion in 'Other/General Law Forum' started by Mechonan, 15 June 2015.

  1. Mechonan

    Mechonan Active Member

    14 May 2015
    Likes Received:
    Hello, I recently sub-letted a room in a share house and paid bond of $400 to the lease holder [M]. Another woman, , also sub-letted, paying $500. Neither of us signed onto the lease. There was a verbal agreement that the bond would be repaid when the (then)current lease ended, minus fees for any damages incurred. The lease ended, and myself and signed a new lease with the real estate agents for the property, paying full bond. $150 was deducted from my bond with [M] to pay rent. As it stands, [M] had $250 of my bond and $500 's. He has not responded to any emails or phone calls, or messages for 3 weeks. All I have are records of emails and text messages with his agreement and bank transcripts of our rent and bond. Is there any legal way of obtaining our monies?
  2. Sophea

    Sophea Guest

    Hi Mechonan,

    Bonds taken under sublease arrangements must be lodged with the RTA in the same way as all other bonds and failure to do so is actually an offence. M can be prosecuted by the RTA for failing to lodge your bonds.

    I would start by sending a letter of demand for your bond highlighting this fact and stating that if they have not been lodged with the RTA then you will advise them which will lead to prosecution for failure do deal property with your bond monies.

    Check out this fact sheet: Rental bonds fact sheet | Residential Tenancies Authority
    DennisD likes this.

Share This Page