QLD How Do I Dispute a Charge from a Solicitor?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Chris764

3 August 2015
I recently sought legal advice over a contract being terminated. I gave all the information I had already researched to the lawyer. She told me she didn't know about business or commercial law but she would give me a quote for her to research the matter. I then received an $800 invoice for a 20 minute consultation and a letter telling me what I had already researched myself.

I questioned the invoice saying I was promised a quote first but they are persisting saying $800 is a modest fee for an initial consultation.

Can I dispute a charge from a solicitor? Where do I go to address this lawyer behaviour? I hope you can help me as they are threatening my credit rating now with taking me to court and saying that the bill will end up as $2000 with all their admin fees, court charges, etc.

Chris764

3 August 2015
I have offered to pay half the invoice as I consider $400 for a 20 min consultation as more than fair