VIC Consumer not paying unfair invoice

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Florence

6 November 2017
Hello all,

I recently emailed an accountant asking for a quote to do my tax return.
He responded by telling me to enter my details on a form on his website. I entered my details and pressed 'submit' at the end.

He then emailed me a draft of my tax and the associated invoice for his work.
I told him I don't wish to use his service and I submitted my own tax return (his draft was also filled with errors and thousands of dollars out!).

He emailed me back saying I still have to pay.

I emailed him again saying that

1. I never agreed to his service in the first place I just requested a quote.
2. His work was not up to standard as it was incorrect.
3. I didn't use his work in the end I submitted my own return.

He then said I never asked for a quote and made a bizarre comment about my email being hacked and emailed me all my personal details of what I submitted online.

I responded asking why he would disclose all my personal info if he thinks my email has been hacked! I then forwarded him the email that I had clearly asked for a quote. I asked him to withdraw his invoice on all the above grounds and that I hope we can come to a resolution between us.

He never responded to my last email.

My question is this:

Can he pass the invoice on to debt collectors without first trying to resolve it with me or at least contact me requesting payment?

(I don't want to end up with bad credit rating over this one unfair invoice from a dodgy small business that I am disputing).

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
He can pass your details to a debt collector, but you should immediately dispute it (which should stop them contacting you). If they don't, tell them not to contact you unless legal action has been commenced against you.

It won't show up on your credit file unless you get sued and lose. Accountants don't submit credit file listings.