How can I ensure someone is charged with perjury?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Nemesis

2 October 2016
I was charged with 3 serious criminal offences which I did not commit and during the hearing, 2 witnesses for the prosecution lied under oath in a local court. This was not a case of it being a "grey area" - a phone call recording proved definitively that they both lied and, in fact, multiple times.

Yes, the charges were quite rightly dismissed but what do I need to do to ensure that these 2 people who were lying to support their completely false and malicious actions are charged with perjury?

What is the process?

Thanks!

Nemesis

2 October 2016
I would follow up with the prosecuting agency.

Thanks, but unfortunately the prosecuting agency is the local police and there was a certain amount of corruption involved in the whole way the charges were laid and the matter dealt with.

I strongly suspect that they will simply refuse to charge their star witnesses with perjury (even though they absolutely should).

I was hoping to go “around” the police or “over” them.

Nemesis

2 October 2016
Shouldn't be hard to find on the internet.

Correct!

OK, I spoke with them and they have no record of the case number on their system indicating that the matter was handled by the local police and did not go through them.

Can you suggest any alternatives?

Nemesis

2 October 2016
Perhaps engaging a lawyer to advocate for you.

I thought about that but I’m concerned about the fees, especially if nothing eventuates as a result.

What would you charge to advocate for me on this matter?