VIC High range .202 - I've made a huge mistake.

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

auDave

27 February 2020
I'm not a lawyer, police don't issue bail, that is from the court (I'm sure someone will correct me it I'm wrong), if the police wanted to stop you, they would have, they would not let you go, now it is out of the police process, it is now started with the court, if you object in court, then they would call the police officers that booked you. So now you have to find out which court you will be in and do I recommended.
That is what I would do.

You're absolutely right, I just read the page I linked and it says unconditional bail, which means release to appear court with no further restrictions. I was so stressed over it, I didn't even acknowledge it. Best case, I see a judge before I go away, but I doubt it. I'll keep a close eye on magistrate listings website while I'm away and if I have to rush back, then I will.

auDave

27 February 2020
If you know in which court you will be in, go to the court and talk to the staff there, they would provide you with the information to your situation: to be able to bring it forward or delay the court hearing. You can stay in contact with them even if you are overseas. I had a traffic infringement and that is what I did and they were helpful. When you go take with you supporting document for the travels and your driving record, for example, they may not ask for it, but to be in the safe side.
Good luck.

Should I ask the police station that charged me to find out which court I'm going to and do this before I receive summons or when I receive it? Thank you.