hi shoplifting misdemeanor

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

geoffro

12 March 2020
Hi I dont have a record and have never done anything illegal. today having received some stressful news, I went shopping at woolworths and as I went to check out I did not see any small trollies but there were some outside. I took the shopping outside (about 4m) to get a small trolley (not thinking) and was stopped by store security. i was issued a misdemeanor notice by the police despite explaining the stress and forgetfulness. there will be no charges placed. will this go on my record and come up if I am applying for jobs ( I need criminal checks)

Adam1user

5 January 2018
Hi I dont have a record and have never done anything illegal. today having received some stressful news, I went shopping at woolworths and as I went to check out I did not see any small trollies but there were some outside. I took the shopping outside (about 4m) to get a small trolley (not thinking) and was stopped by store security. i was issued a misdemeanor notice by the police despite explaining the stress and forgetfulness. there will be no charges placed. will this go on my record and come up if I am applying for jobs ( I need criminal checks)
Hello,
lesson well learned, if it was a mistake don't worry about it, as the police did not charge you (depending on the value of items also plays a part in it), that means this is just a financial penalty (like minor traffic fines) and they don't show on the criminal record. This is from my understanding and I am not a lawyer, but I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong in this.