QLD Accidentally Shoplifted - Police Have Charged Me

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Tracy B

24 December 2014
Australia
Hi Shailee,

Refer to as much evidence as you can to support your claim that you did not intend to shoplift. This includes past Coles receipts, past receipts from other stores, your mother-in-law as witness.

Shailee

24 April 2015
I found my charge sheet and I've been charged for stealing, does this make any difference at all?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
No. This charge is to be expected.

Write up notes about the event as you remember them. Do it now before you forget essential details. Include as much detail as you can.
Check for past receipts.
See if you can find witnesses that support your side of the case.
Look up the closest legal Aid centre to you and make an appointment.

If the police ask for an interview, seek legal advice first.

Bilz

9 September 2019
Hi Shailee,

Take a read of Queensland's Government "shoplifting, stealing, fraud and burglary". Do you have the charge sheet? What section of what legislation are you charged with?

If the value of the goods taken was less than $150 then you have a defence if you prove that you were not dishonest in taking the goods away. Therefore, you will need to show that there was an honest mistake, or no intention to shoplift (e.g. genuine intention to pay).

Bilz

9 September 2019
Hi Shailee,
okay so the best thing to do..?
1.Obtain a copy of your Previous Criminal History from your closest police station or you can obtain this by requesting by mail. Details for how to do this are online or phone Police Link 131 444
2. Get in writing any type of letters from friends and family in the form of a "Character Refence Statement Letter" which you can download an example character reference from Legal Aid Queensland online;
* It is important that the requirements for writing a Character letter are done accordingly so that it is accepted by the Honourable (Judge) MAGISTRATE!,
* The main points a refernce person must include in their letter - Time they have known you? What your currently charged with, who are currently present in your life? Husband ,children, do you have support from family and friends if need be.
* When they heard about your charge was that something they thought was out of character for you? Provide an example of an act of honesty they witnessed personally? (which is a mark in your favour as a defence to a dishonesty)
Write a letter of "submission"!, This letter is addressed to the Police Prosecutions Office for the police prosecutor from the courthouse in which you are summonsed to appear.
When writing a letter such as this Include: The offence, when and where you were charged, at what time did you realise that you had committed an offence. were you instantly remorseful. did you try to provide a correctedness to sort the offence, has this now been paid for and can you provide an reciept?, have you spoken to management of the store or written a letter to the store about paying for the goods, are you willing to pay the store if this was all it takes to hav the primary charge of SHOP STEAL dropped? provide proof of this not being in your character to do and provide a copy of your criminal history as proof of this along with the charcter reference letter which also include acts of honesty made by you and ask to make an arrangement for a sit down conference to see if your case is one of many that can be settled out of court and if you proceeded to achieve what the victim business wants as restitution and if they also want a apology letter than chances are this case can be "QUASHED" NO CONVICTION AND RETAIN A CLEAN HISTORY....

* (Tip). You got the hard part out of everyone to do...! But Trust me? You can achieve this. its up to you okay...

GOODLUCK
Bilza

Bilz

9 September 2019
Also nothing was hidden, don't people who steal things hide them in bags? everything I had was in the trolley, ready to be payed for..
NO most stealing are condcted in Plain Sight... Its not uncommon for this to be recognised and people would assume it to be "IMPOSSIBLE" for a person to steal in "Clear View"? Well its actually easier than to hide things away tucked in bags or hidden under strollers or have things stashed down their pants! REALLY you say right well, humans naturally wouldnt register this in their minds instantly as it is something that is seen to be non believeable or registers as something which doesnt happen therefore b time this has registered in their minds it is often too late. An example of this is for instance take a "MAGICIAN" the entire audience is watching this magician and his every move some will not even blink and yet the magician still manages to succeed his magic trick in clear view of his audience.

Blw

9 January 2020
Yesterday, I went and did my normal weekly food shopping. I had a massive migraine and wasn't thinking properly, not thinking I went to take my daughter to the change room to change her nappy and walk out of the shops with a trolley full of food without paying. I was half way to the change room when a lady from the shopping centre tapped me on the shoulder and ask me to accompany her to the police beat. I didn't even realise what I had done at that point so I said 'no what for?', she said 'you walk out of the shops without paying for your food'. I look in the trolley and fair enough I did. I told her I will pay for them and showed her I had the money to pay for them and she become quite rude and aggressive towards me, as I tried to explain I didn't mean to not pay for them, she told me it's was too late and I will be charge for shoplifting (theft) and that I have to accompany her to the police station.

I was so scared of getting into trouble I run of into the car park, was packing up my children's belongings and was going to leave the stuff I didn't pay for behind, as I grab my baby bag out of the trolley a police officer grabbed my arm. I again tried to explain what happened, but wasn't listened to. I didn't even get the chance to explain myself. I have never been more embarrassed in my whole life. I have to go to court and I have no idea what to do, as I have never shoplifted, never had to go to court for it. I really need some advice.
I

Hi shailee,

I’m interested to know your outcome? Similar situation happened to me recently except with a jar of Nutella and a bottle of radiant..my son was holding the jar of Nutella reading it and I completely forgot about the radiant underneath other bags of shopping. The police were called and met me at the car and I was told to go back and pay (had no idea I had them until unpacking the trolley). So I went back and paid, $15, the police took my details but I haven’t heard anything since!

Adam1user

5 January 2018
Yesterday, I went and did my normal weekly food shopping. I had a massive migraine and wasn't thinking properly, not thinking I went to take my daughter to the change room to change her nappy and walk out of the shops with a trolley full of food without paying. I was half way to the change room when a lady from the shopping centre tapped me on the shoulder and ask me to accompany her to the police beat. I didn't even realise what I had done at that point so I said 'no what for?', she said 'you walk out of the shops without paying for your food'. I look in the trolley and fair enough I did. I told her I will pay for them and showed her I had the money to pay for them and she become quite rude and aggressive towards me, as I tried to explain I didn't mean to not pay for them, she told me it's was too late and I will be charge for shoplifting (theft) and that I have to accompany her to the police station.

I was so scared of getting into trouble I run of into the car park, was packing up my children's belongings and was going to leave the stuff I didn't pay for behind, as I grab my baby bag out of the trolley a police officer grabbed my arm. I again tried to explain what happened, but wasn't listened to. I didn't even get the chance to explain myself. I have never been more embarrassed in my whole life. I have to go to court and I have no idea what to do, as I have never shoplifted, never had to go to court for it. I really need some advice.

I read most answers and there is one point that none addressed, without that point, it could be as an others answered. As this is your first offense (depending on your criminal history record), you may get a good behavior bond and a financial fine with court fees ( I doubt that there will be jail), the point I am referring to is that you ran away, this will not come to your benefit, in general terms, if a person makes a mistake, most properly will stay and aplogise, in few cases a person will run (not referring to you). This is my thoughts only and I am not a lawyer, as others advised, seek legal advice (and mention that you ran away because you were scared).
Good luck.