QLD Help for a newbie, bordering on blackmail

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

ispookie666

22 November 2018
Hi
I need some advice or help.

Im living in Uk, I travelled to Brisbane for some business. I was chatting to someone and decided to meet them while in brisbane.

Before we met, I had suggested that we agree a compensation for the time - as the other person would be needing child care arrangment (on and off for a few days) etc. I asked a lot of time to provide me with a figure but never got one and we never had any plans other than meet in the evenings maybe, all depending on how we get on.

The other person, voluntarily booked time off work.

The person picked me up from the airport and drove to the apratment and stay the night. And in short - we had consensual sex.

The next morning, the person departed and I went about doing my business.

My phone broke and I did not have any other way of contacting the person and left it (as I was there for just 4 days) and did not feel great that I was not able to get it sorted.

Long story short - Now this person is threatening me - saying I must pay for the childcare expenses even though it was not needed as we only met once(claiming it was already booked so had to pay!), then for the loss of pay even though it was leave taken voluntarily, etc..

Has threatened to go to Police

Scruff

25 July 2018
NSW
You need to consider not only how this most likely looks to the other party, but also how it looks to probably everyone who reads your statements:

You have this:
Before we met, I had suggested that we agree a compensation for the time ...
followed by this:
The person picked me up from the airport and drove to the apratment and stay the night. And in short - we had consensual sex.
followed by this:
My phone broke and I did not have any other way of contacting the person and left it ...

"My phone broke" in this context is akin to "the dog ate my homework" and sounds very convenient - for you anyway. It makes the whole scenario look very much like you engaged in a one night stand and then simply discarded the other party. That would certainly explain the motive behind their demands and their threats.

In regard to contacting the Police, what offence are they claiming that you committed? If this is just about money, then that's a civil matter, not a matter for the Police.

If they're accusing you of sexual assault however, then that's a whole different ball game.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Based on OP's post, I agree, looks like a civil matter.

Man up and pay as you said you would instead of making excuses. Doesn't necessarily mean pay an exorbitant amount, but pay what is reasonable.