QLD Car Ownership Rights

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

B Gibson

25 April 2017
Good morning,

I am wanting some advice on what to do on the following situation.

My partners mum bought him a car 4-5 years ago as a gift, however they left the registration under her name because insurance etc. wasn't as expensive (he was only 18-19 at the time).

A few months back they were going to transfer it into his name and he has messages from her saying that it was a gift, but the transfer just never happened. My partner has always paid the insurance and registration. He's had a canopy and draws installed on the car for work and since day one of receiving it, treated it as if the car was in his name.

Long story short, they no longer have a relationship and she's threatening him with taking the car. To give you a background, she is in no way a mentally stable person, so we want to be prepared by knowing if he has any rights.

Thank you in advance,

Brighley

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
He does have ownership rights.

Registration does not denote ownership. So if he has evidence of her saying it is a gift she will have trouble claiming the car.

Reactions: B Gibson

B Gibson

25 April 2017
He does have ownership rights.

Registration does not denote ownership. So if he has evidence of her saying it is a gift she will have trouble claiming the car.

Thank you for your response and help :)