QLD Rights of a demfacto

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Aaron K

27 January 2018
I have recently ended an 8 year relationship with a women and she has been threatning me with legal proceedings. During our relationship I purchased my fathers business which is totally in my name as well as all the loans and other debt, we lived in my personal house which I had purchased several years before we met. During the operation of the business she was employed and paid $700 per week out of which she did pay most household bills except the mortgage and rates which I have always paid for. She moved out of the housenapprox a year ago and since that time I have given her $500 per week as well as appox $6000 in cash payments, also she is driving a 3yr old car which I fully pay for. My question is. If she did take things down the legal avenue have been fair in what I have been doing or have been over or under doing it?

sammy01

27 September 2015
How long did u live together? Even if it was for 8 yrs... no kids? Tell her to go away and stop giving her money asap

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Get some legal advice before you make any changes. Do it sooner rather later. Having a business complicates matters.

Aaron K

27 January 2018
Regarding the Business which is run as a trust I am the only beneficiary of. Also with the money that I have already given and the fact that she is driving around in a car fully paid for and registered in my name, I feel that all I am doing is enabling her to do nothing regarding gettung a job or being motivated at all. So the consensus is Ive done enough already?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Family Court can pull apart Trusts. Hence my suggestion you see a lawyer.