QLD Harassment after 27 years?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Meggsie

16 October 2022
I am in Qld.
I was married to R for 12 years, separated 27 years ago and divorced 25 years ago. He was emotionally and financially abusive but no reason for police involvement. We had no children and the split was not amicable. For years after, he continued to contact my extended family for every reason and no reason he could think of. He contacted my parents, my siblings, my nieces and nephews (at school and later at their workplaces), my aunts, my cousins.
Since that time we have had no friends in common and we move in very different circles. I married again to S and it was a happy marriage but sadly S died 2 years ago.
Recently a friend of mine (whom R did not know) made his acquaintance where he is employed in a local craft shop she sometimes shops at. They got talking and eventually it came out that he was my ex. She was unsettled and when she mentioned that S had died he said he did not know that, and he was sorry as he knew we had been happy together (this was a big red flag to me when she told me that). As she went to leave the shop he said he had some photos of mine that he would like to return to me (he has none I want). My friend was so unnerved she has not been back to the shop and did not tell me about this conversation for months.
I am feeling unsettled, I feel I am being watched but I would feel silly to go to the police about this. I have no apparent cause for concern and given how long we have been divorced and how little he has "done", would the police take this seriously?
Megg

Meggsie

16 October 2022
Yep that's what I figured.
Harassment by proxy. As per his previous history.
We have had no contact for 27 years, he knows perfectly well that I have been actively avoiding him and he has no photos that I want. But still the first chance he has an opportunity to get in contact with me, he uses a friend to send a message to me about nothing. He knows no-one in my circle of contacts (I cut contact with everyone we knew in common) but he has been following my life.