Australia's #1 for Law

Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

SA Grandparents Rights - Family Law Court to Obtain Contact with Children?

Discussion in 'Family Law Forum' started by Rodney Welch, 29 April 2016.

  1. Rodney Welch

    Rodney Welch Member

    29 April 2016
    Likes Received:
    If the child is under the Guardianship of the Minister (an order through the Youth Court of South Australia), is the Family Law Court able to hear a case as the grandmother is seeking contact with her grandchildren, and Families SA are making decisions to reduce and remove grandmother's contact.

    The child was placed with the grandmother for 6 years whilst under the Guardianship Board and then removed. There have been issues raised in regards to the children's safety, though no known investigation has confirmed any risks.

    What grandparents rights does the grandmother have to seek contact and a relationship with her grandchild? And can she do this through the Family Law Court to have and maintain the relationship?
  2. Lance

    Lance Well-Known Member

    31 October 2015
    Likes Received:
    Grandparents are specifically referred to in the Family Law act as people who can apply for orders to spend time with their grandchildren. So an application can be made through the Family Law Court.

Share This Page