WA Getting Refund from Volkswagen for Faulty Car?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

jade unhappy

3 March 2017
My VW Golf sits in my garage as I have been told the time chain is a "bit loose but still within specifications" at 70,000km . Now after 4 visits to VW service in just over a month,I wait to find out whether VW Australia will honour a promise to look at my particular situation and consider a "good will"gesture, so I use alternative transport, too scared to drive the VW and have a catastrophic engine failure.

Engine light has come on every time, but other things were "apparently" causing this. They fixed the fuel charcoal unit, then the engine manifold flap and I have already parted with more than $3600 and have not been able to drive the car regularly since late January, because the engine light comes on every time. So I contact VW to ask for advice! On my last visit at my insistence I requested they look at it again(4th time) as engine light still came on ( yes it came on on first visit).

They have told me I must get time chain fixed. Another (more than) $4000 bill! I saw red as it was only at my insistence they actually looked at my car again.

I then rang VW Australia to complain.I was assured turnaround time would be 24-48 hours after application for "good will"gesture was supposedly lodged on March 3. My last communication was with VW service Friday 10 March when service manager(via text) requested my licence number and full name(presumably to apply for good will gesture long after I expected the formal response) still waiting. No phone call, no text, all is quiet!

I reminded them by text after providing relevant information that I will park my VW outside Service/Dealership every Saturday with large signs and happy to talk to all potential VW purchasers about my "time-chain" issues, will direct them to VW problems on internet world wide. Let the buyer beware. This should have been subject to a recall long ago.

We have Tiguan on order(bad timing, since Boxing Day 2016) due in April 2017. Certainly not parting with the $50,000 balance after paying the deposit unless we can settle this issue AND be assured that the Tiguan will not encounter same problems. They tell me it is a "completely different engine"

Really? I have already checked out info on Tiguan and it does not augur well....Well if the time chain on Tiguan goes before it is even meant to be inspected at routine service I might be taking matters further... Watch this space!

Reactions: ads1212

Avoo

20 March 2017
Elin, your experience mirrors mine, as are many others. Very upsetting.

I haven't bothered to pay the Volkswagen dealer to open it up as I can see it's just a slow expensive pathway to them avoiding admitting guilt. Also like you, a private mechanic sees this all the time and is open with costs, unlike VW.

Let me guess, cracked piston?
Hi Angelo,

My 2009 Golf has cracked piston too recently, not sure if I should risk spending $1k for dealer to strip down the engine and forward a goodwill gesture.

Could you please tell me what did you do eventually with your car?

Avoo

20 March 2017
Reply:

I am in Brisbane and my 5-year-old Golf GTi engine imploded about a month ago. I have been asked to pay $1400 for the engine strip down... and the dealer is putting a claim in to Volkswagen for the repair.

The strip down confirmed the cause as I knew it would. My private mechanic had already diagnosed the problem with cameras, etc. I hope to hear back next week.

A very upsetting business... I cried for a week when I learned that the car was essentially a write off...Gilly, I would love to know how you went about approaching the ACCC
Hi Elin,

Is yours a cracked piston too? What's the conclusive solution? Did VW Australia eventually contribute to the total repair cost?

Gilly

1 September 2016
I too have had catastrophic engine failure from the timing chain tensioner problem. Audi wouldn't take responsibility and advised a cost of some $14,000 to fix. I finally had to spend $6,000 late lat year (this was an extraordinarily good deal with 1 year engine warranty) to have the engine replaced. I am catatonic with anger at VW Ag/Audi's stonewalling and denial at a global scandal involving so many cars.

As mentioned here are class action suits in the US, but nothing in Australia (yet). Can I recommend that all who have had this catastrophic failure stay in contact? Also if anyone is interested I have spoken to the Sydney Morning Herald today and they are keen to talk to other victims.

Contact me ASAP if you wish to share your frustrations and start the journey to make Audi front up to yet another global scandal. Legally it would be great for a law firm to bring a class action (per current USA proceedings) against VW AG.

Thanks in advance

Hi only just got this - I am more than happy to speak to Sydney Herald. We ended up paying $2000 repair bill after initially being quoted $8000 but only because I tape recorded all VWs lies and then threatened to expose them. Long story!

It's all on my FB page Volkswagen Defective Timing Chain Tensioner Page. We will be selling our car very soon before something else goes....

ads1212

16 March 2017
If you think speaking to the SMH would be beneficial , that'd be great. - anything you need from me?

jade unhappy

3 March 2017
Just recently had successful outcome with my time tensioner problem with VW. Parked outside dealership/service centre Saturday morning 8.30am prepared to stay all day,every week, with signs and balloons to attract attention. Given that I had a lemon I also prepared lemon juice free for all who stopped to talk.

Did not have to wait longer than 60 minutes for problem to be resolved, car back now, time tensioner all fixed free of charge. Worth the effort. Surely VW should acknowledge there IS a problem! Nice photo of car with signage and bedecked with balloons. Car goes beautifully now!

Reactions: volcano

ads1212

16 March 2017
Hi only just got this - I am more than happy to speak to Sydney Herald. We ended up paying $2000 repair bill after initially being quoted $8000 but only because I tape recorded all VWs lies and then threatened to expose them. Long story!

It's all on my FB page Volkswagen Defective Timing Chain Tensioner Page. We will be selling our car very soon before something else goes....

Well done. What's the Facebook page URL?

Saree

25 April 2017
I too have had catastrophic engine failure from the timing chain tensioner problem. Audi wouldn't take responsibility and advised a cost of some $14,000 to fix. I finally had to spend $6,000 late lat year (this was an extraordinarily good deal with 1 year engine warranty) to have the engine replaced. I am catatonic with anger at VW Ag/Audi's stonewalling and denial at a global scandal involving so many cars.

As mentioned here are class action suits in the US, but nothing in Australia (yet). Can I recommend that all who have had this catastrophic failure stay in contact? Also if anyone is interested I have spoken to the Sydney Morning Herald today and they are keen to talk to other victims.

Contact me ASAP if you wish to share your frustrations and start the journey to make Audi front up to yet another global scandal. Legally it would be great for a law firm to bring a class action (per current USA proceedings) against VW AG.

Thanks in advance
I have at the problem happen to me this week. I am so disappointed not sure what do about it. I am happy to stay in contact with others who have experienced this issue, I am writing to VW about my situation.

fdan4255

26 April 2017
Our son has same problem only this week. On trip to Adelaide and now the car is broken down in Renmark. Trying to get extended warranty to pay. Bought the car 2 years ago, 2010 gti and only has about 86000klm on clock as of today. He was never told of the possible problem from VW during their services and now they are saying because his last couple of services weren't with them, no warranty. Will let you know how we go tomorrow. Now relying on hire car - more expense.

fdan4255

26 April 2017
Hi Elin,

Is yours a cracked piston too? What's the conclusive solution? Did VW Australia eventually contribute to the total repair cost?
How did you get on with VW - which dealership was it in Brisbane.
I have at the problem happen to me this week. I am so disappointed not sure what do about it. I am happy to stay in contact with others who have experienced this issue, I am writing to VW about my situation.
Hi Saree, how did you go with the letter. I am thinking of protesting in front of dealership by handing out leaflets about how VW knew of the problem for years but never told buyers, even when getting car serviced by them.