LawAnswers.com.au - Australia's #1 Legal Community

LawAnswers.com.au is a community of 10,000+ Australians, just like you, helping each other.
Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
Join us, it only takes a minute:

VIC Gambling and Spent All My Dad's Superannuation

Discussion in 'Superannuation Law Forum' started by anonymous84, 26 February 2015.

1. anonymous84

anonymous84 Member

Hi i used to be my father's administrator but I ran into a gambling problem and spent all his superannuation.
    I have a VCAT hearing coming up and don't know what to do??
    My father does not go without anything and anything he needs I pay for... im embarrassed ashamed stressed regretful... please help i don't want to go to jail and/or be taken away from my 2 kids i previously told vcat it was in another account because I was so scared

2. Ivy

Ivy Well-Known Member

Hi there,

Is there a specific legal question that you have? What have you been charged with? Without knowing the charge, I can't tell whether a conviction could be accompanied by a custodial sentence.

It sounds as though you need to obtain legal representation. Have you contacted Legal Aid in Victoria to see if they can help you?

3. anonymous84

anonymous84 Member

I have not been charged with anything as yet... was just summons to attend a hearing at vcat....

4. Ivy

Ivy Well-Known Member

What did your summons say was the basis of the hearing? What is VCAT trying to determine? As I suggested above, I recommend that you contact a solicitor to help you prepare.

5. anonymous84

anonymous84 Member

They want me to bring in all bank statements, any letters received, everything...
    will i go to jail?

6. Ivy

Ivy Well-Known Member

Hi again,

I cannot suggest strongly enough that you should contact Legal Aid or another solicitor for advice. We cannot provide advice on the likely outcome of a hearing. However you have not told us what the basis for the hearing is. Is there a charge? What is it? Have a look at your summons.

7. anonymous84

anonymous84 Member

It is just a summons to provide vcat with all of my fathers financials etc... there is no charge

8. Ash

Ash Well-Known Member