Australia's #1 for Law

Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

NSW Will My Gambling Appear on a Criminal Record?

Discussion in 'Criminal Law Forum' started by Alex7, 6 January 2016.

1. Alex7

Alex7 Member

Hi, I have been done for credit betting at work.

I had gone through an addiction of gambling to the point I started gambling at work, placing bets on Tab - keno.

Thr first occasion, I only had bet $200 and stopped when I won. The second occasion (last), I had bet more than I had. Once I had bet over my $500, I continued to do so to the point it got to more than $15k. I ended up giving myself in as I realised what situation I was in and knew I should stop, I could have kept trying to get the money all back but I didn't.

They called the police and they came and briefly interviewed me.

Is this going to go down as a criminal record or civil?

What should I do?

2. Rod

Rod Well-Known Member

Did you use company money for the bets, or your money but on work time?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Alex7

Alex7 Member

I'm one of the Keno Operators. Technically I didn't use any money to make bets at the time as I could do it from the machine without needing the physical money making it credit betting.

My company said they ended up paying the money I owe to Keno. So I guess I owe my company the money. Also I was informed that I could be fined by Keno for failing responsible conduct of gambling.

My boss at the time said I could be fined 11,000 for each offence as I did more than 65 bets. Though I think he was trying to scare me as this would be too much? And if I'm not mistaken, I read that I can only be fined to a maximum of 11,000 but not too sure if they can do it for each time I made those bets?

4. Rod

Rod Well-Known Member

Potentially both. Do nothing for the moment.

Recommend you do not talk to the police or your employer about this matter until after you speak with a lawyer.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...