NSW Will My Gambling Appear on a Criminal Record?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Alex7

6 January 2016
Hi, I have been done for credit betting at work.

I had gone through an addiction of gambling to the point I started gambling at work, placing bets on Tab - keno.

Thr first occasion, I only had bet $200 and stopped when I won. The second occasion (last), I had bet more than I had. Once I had bet over my $500, I continued to do so to the point it got to more than $15k. I ended up giving myself in as I realised what situation I was in and knew I should stop, I could have kept trying to get the money all back but I didn't.

They called the police and they came and briefly interviewed me.

Is this going to go down as a criminal record or civil?

What should I do?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Did you use company money for the bets, or your money but on work time?

Alex7

6 January 2016
I'm one of the Keno Operators. Technically I didn't use any money to make bets at the time as I could do it from the machine without needing the physical money making it credit betting.

My company said they ended up paying the money I owe to Keno. So I guess I owe my company the money. Also I was informed that I could be fined by Keno for failing responsible conduct of gambling.

My boss at the time said I could be fined 11,000 for each offence as I did more than 65 bets. Though I think he was trying to scare me as this would be too much? And if I'm not mistaken, I read that I can only be fined to a maximum of 11,000 but not too sure if they can do it for each time I made those bets?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Is this going to go down as a criminal record or civil?

Potentially both. Do nothing for the moment.

Recommend you do not talk to the police or your employer about this matter until after you speak with a lawyer.