VIC Faulty Product - Recourse Under Australian Consumer Law?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Tycho

10 January 2017
Hi - sorry, typing this on my phone. My computer is in a state of disrepair.

I'll keep this short because it's embarrassing, but I was using a Bodygrooming product that's made by Phillips, specifically for shaving around the private areas. I've had it for a few months, used it a few times without incident. It was mostly one small nick though I guess my head (foil) is faulty because it cut me right where a male doesn't want to be cut. It's not as severe as some other stories I've heard with razors but it may leave a small scar - hopefully not.

Perhaps my anger will pass but is there any action that can be taken under Australian Consumer Law? They tout this device's safety, which is clearly a lie.

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi Tycho,

Under Australian Consumer Law, Phillips have a duty to provide a product that is fit for the intended purpose and if they make claims that its safe, they can be held accountable should those claims be found to be false.

Just make sure you were using the product as intended and within the parameters of its intended use. I guess the example I would use is that you couldn't pursue a knife manufacturer under Australian consumer law because you triped and stabbed yourself.

That said if the knife manufacturer claimed their knife would prevent that from occurring and it doesn't then you might have a claim. Read your product information and check to see if they have any warnings.