NSW Family Law - How to Stop Mother from Abusing Kids?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
7 November 2016
Hi all,

I am in a situation - almost 4 years separated and have three kids (15,15,13). I am fully paid up on child support, pay healthcare and have them 44% of the time - in which I cover all day to day expenses etc.

My ex has never been communicative nor cooperative but this is becoming far worse and her treatment of the kids at home is abusive, controlling, abandoning them in house, taking away phones (that I pay for) to communicate and abusing them verbally - and occasional accidental 'hits/kicks'

The kids are being 'hurt daily' and are having to carry the load (communications which are fraught with stress) as their Mum refuses to communicate on any level. My son has finally made a break towards me but still has some property over there that she will not allow him to access (most notable IT equipment linking him with his peers/jobs/school, etc)

I called the police to retrieve them and she took them through a merry dance saying the items were 'lost'.

Is there anything I can do under family law to make/encourage her to return items/stop abusing kids (I have spoken to child services - who essentially said this is not extreme enough for them to act).

Writing this down it seems quite benign but living with seeing kids in this position daily is extremely difficult

Would love help of any kind

sammy01

27 September 2015
Forget getting possessions back. Waste of time and energy. And, yep forget children's services. Do the kids wanna come live with you? Apart from the property, what else is it you're after?

Even with court orders, at their age, if they refused to go to mum then the courts would be slow to do anything.

7 November 2016
All I want is her to do minimal communications/cooperations to make kids lives easier. Is there any way/tactics to stop her from putting roadblocks in the path at any opportunity to help raise good well-adjusted kids?

Additionally, I have a trip booked and planned for the kids and me, and she is dangling the passports in front of the kids saying that she won't hand them across. She is legally obliged, I imagine, as I have written agreement that I take them for those holidays and in the orders that she hold the passports.

Is there a way to make sure that I have those to make bookings and to confirm the kids will be able to travel?

Thanks for help

sammy01

27 September 2015
Travel within Australia. Mate, the passport thing is a bloody mess. So email her, give her the details of travel and request the passports be handed over ASAP. When are you planning on leaving? I hope you have very good travel insurance...

Anyways - do all necessary to determine if she is just playing silly buggers or if she intends to withold the kids. If she won't hand over the passports, then you're gonna want to apply to court ASAP.

As far as communication / roadblocks... Get used to it and start planning your life with the expectations of stupidity...

Mate, I totally understand. My ex booked doctor's appointment and told me I had to attend them prior to flying. I said, sure, no worries, then cancelled the appointments.

Just crazy stuff.