NSW Family Law - Children Not Wanting to See Parent?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

ANDREW280770

5 March 2018
My stepchildren have not seen their biological father since they were very young, 5 and 3. They are now 16 and 14 and he has now made contact and wants to see them.

They do not want to see him at all. He has not paid child support for some time (which I don't want anyway). Do the kids have the right to say no under family law?

sammy01

27 September 2015
With no court orders in place they can no be compelled. Why not meet up with dad - I'm assuming you're their ste-dad? Could the mother not have a coffee and discuss the possibility?

Look no legal advice here... Just a thought. Encouraging the kids to meet up with dad ain't a bad idea...

Reactions: sydman110

AllForHer

23 July 2014
There's no Court orders, so they can't be forced, and if dad was to pursue parenting orders, they would probably be to the effect that it's up to the kids when they see him, but mate, thousands of parents sacrifice their relationship with young children because the other parent has made it so difficult for them to maintain that relationship that it starts hurting the kids. Many make contact years later, when the kids are old enough to form their own opinion about what happened.

Maybe now is the time let them form their own opinion based on their actual dad, rather than just on his absence. Whatever you think you may know about dad or his reasons for severing contact, try and remember that it's only one side of the story.

Reactions: sydman110