Australia's #1 for Law

Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

QLD Father Absent for Years - Apply for Full Custody of Children?

Discussion in 'Family Law Forum' started by Krys, 5 August 2016.

  1. Krys

    Krys Member

    5 August 2016
    Likes Received:

    The biological father of my child has been absent from her life for 5 years, not one attempt to contact her at all verbally or physically. He now wants to see her after 5 years. She doesn't want to see him, even after I have asked her. She still says no.

    His parents said to me "she needs to get over it". I think that is absurd and my child does not have to get over the fact she doesn't know him and in her eyes, he is a stranger.

    The grandparents push her into things she doesn't want to do and they do this with bribery. My child has stated that she is sick of them pushing her into doing things she doesn't like or want to do. She is to somewhat emotionally damaged by them and now the biological father wants to see her after being completely absent for 5 long years, as I said, no contact at all.

    Me and my husband would like to file for full custody of children for my child as I fear for her safety and psychological state of mind. I have been told by a family lawyer that letting him see her now will only desocialise her and emotionally make her struggle.

    Please help me with this as I am honestly fearing for my child and she gets worried and scared if she has been asked to see either the grandparents or biological father

    Kind regards
  2. sammy01

    sammy01 Well-Known Member

    27 September 2015
    Likes Received:
    I have concerns.

    You said,

    "I have been told by a family lawyer that letting him see her now will only desocialise her and emotionally make her struggle."

    The reason I have is that a solicitor told you that. If a child psychologist who assessed your child said that, then I'd take it seriously... When solicitors say stuff like that, I imagine them on a beach in Fiji spending the money you gave them.

    So - what to do? Nothing... If dad wants to see the kid, then make it happen. You have not said that he is violent or dangerous, so why not let the kid see the kid?

    My kids tell me they hate the dentist and they are not going to go to the dentist. But they go to the dentist even if I have to take them in kicking and screaming... I understand why they hate the dentist....but why does your kid hate dad?
  3. AllForHer

    AllForHer Well-Known Member

    23 July 2014
    Likes Received:
    How old is the child?
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...

Share This Page