VIC Fair Property Settlement After 2 Years of Marriage?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

sammy_lost

1 November 2016
Hi guys,

I had a short marriage of around 2 years and we have been separated from last 10 months. There are no children involved and there is not a lot of joint saving and the money coming back from the property is not that significant either. Looking at around 20k in saving, 4k in house old stuff, 40k in total from house sale that’s sitting in trust.

The issue is that my ex wants to share in everything in property settlement and beyond what she has contributed.

I will consult a lawyer as well but I also wanted to get some knowledge from your experience.

1. Car/assets bought solely by me before marriage

a. I have sold some of my personal belongings (car and some furniture) after separation. I paid for it and it was used jointly during period of marriage.

b. Can she get a cut in that? As per law, do I need to provide details like sale receipts etc?

2. Share in savings/house as per contribution.

a. She contracted, her income was higher than me by say $20000/before tax in 2 years of relation but she was unemployed for 6 months while I was still earning.

b. She wants to claim the money from the savings and house sales is as per what she has contributed? What is usual outcome in such proceedings?

c. My point is, I was the one who found the deal on land, did negotiations and pushed for the land. If it was not for me, she would nt have seen that 40k rise. Ideally all 50/50.

3. Superannuation - She wants a share in all

a. She has worked in AU for just 1.5 years while I have been working for 9 years. So have got decent money in my super.

b. Do I need to disclose my super amount to her?

c. What she may legally get from my super?we should only look at 2 year period?

4. Do I need to provide her all financial docs that she requests or it has to be some thing legally binding before I have to (by law) disclose documents to her?

Regards

sammy01

27 September 2015
Ok, so a short marriage - no kids. Each party takes out what they put in and any profits get split 50/50... that is a rough guide.

But based on the numbers you're talking I think it isn't worth taking it to trial. Offer her $5000 cash to go away?