NSW Expensive Lawyer Fees Paid but No Progress

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

birdie

7 December 2015
Hello everyone,

I’m new here. I separated from my husband 5 months ago. I engaged a lawyer when we started, but he retired on me a couple of weeks ago, left me with his assistant and another lawyer. They charged me a large sum of money in lawyer fees, but until now they still haven’t got my husband’s superannuation statement, etc.

My husband is playing every single trick in the book, trying to rip at least $600k off me, after 23 years marriage.

S

Sophea

Hi birdie, if your husband is trying to be difficult, then it's likely there are things beyond your lawyers' control that they are having to contend with and just because certain milestones haven't been achieved doesn't mean they haven't been working.

You can ask them to explain what work has been involved in the fees that they have charged you and I'm sure they would be happy to explain what work they have been doing. If you are not satisfied with their explanations, however, you can call the Legal Services Commissioner in your state to complain. However, I think you will find that there is a lot of work going on behind the scenes that you are unaware of, that takes time and money.