Australia's #1 for Law

Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

TAS Claim Superannuation After Family Law Financial Settlement Finalised?

Discussion in 'Family Law Forum' started by Bella1958, 29 June 2015.

1. Bella1958

Bella1958 Member

In 2008, for reasons that I won't go into other than I was basically so stressed out and tired of the bullying, I agreed to not touch my ex husband's 20 year 400k superannuation in return for 15k from a separate small super account. My lawyer did tell me that she could get me 50% without even trying and that once I agreed to this it was final. I wanted peace so I foolishly did not take my lawyer's family law advice.

Now, 7 years on and a lot stronger, I realise that it was a very very foolish thing to do especially as during our 20 years I contributed directly and indirectly to the superannuation as it was always for our retirement.

Is there anyway I can get this re looked at? - only for the period that we were together I still do not want rip him off but I realise that I have put myself in a terrible position purely because I could not cope with the stress of it at the time. Thank you.

2. AllForHer

AllForHer Well-Known Member

You won't be able to review this situation without leave of the court, and I believe you would need to show some degree of financial hardship as a result of the marriage to have the court reconsider the settlement. If you're only after super, I don't think the court would reconsider it 7 years down the track.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Bella1958

Bella1958 Member

Thank you for your reply ...yes you are saying what I was afraid of...the house we had agreed was all mine when sold if I left his super when the settlement of the house happened it was split 50/50 by the lawyer and the response was well you never said anything at the time ....I should have had more fight in me and then only settled for a 50/50.split with the super but I didnt so wondered if I had any recourse at all ...but it seems that I probably don't.