VIC Ex wont return my car

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Bhullar13

17 November 2023
Hi everyone. My ex partner and i got separated after being together for 3 and half years. She had 2 kids from previous relationship. Both kids lived with us. She got an intervention order against me while she had possession of my car. I had my car before our relationship started. Police keep saying its a shared property. Car is registered on my name. Paid in full when i bought it. Police officer advised me to get registration cancelled if my ex is not returning it which i did last month or so. She has been driving the car unregistered. Speeding fines, toll invoices keep coming as car is my name, i have nominated her to pay. She also has possession of some of my belongings as well. Is it worth going to a family lawyer for car worth around 9-10k and some of my belongings? Or should i just forget about it?
Thanks

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Resort to self help when the IVO finishes.

Or go to court for an order.

Dpj

1 July 2020
Why can't the police do anything? I say you report the car stolen, and escalate to the station Sargent if you get nowhere with the first cop. The car is in your name. The police officer saying it is joint property, well, under what law?

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Why can't the police do anything?
Because they have no jurisdiction.
It's a civil dispute and not a criminal matter.
I say you report the car stolen, and escalate to the station Sargent if you get nowhere with the first cop. The car is in your name.
And I say... don't. Because the police will tell you something like
...they have no jurisdiction.
It's a civil dispute and not a criminal matter.
And while we are about it...
...well, under what law?
Assuming that this is not a family law matter,
then "what law" would be the Relationships Act 2008 (Vic)

Dpj

1 July 2020
Thanks Tim. That clarifies it :)

Could the OP sell the car, ie, to a friend, and then claim it stolen?

lostinspace

25 November 2023
lol....creating more mess.

Many things do not go as people think in family law.

Re the cancelled rego, well I would be worried about inheriting the debt/s and if there is a crash. My ex took a car, all I cared abut was it was insured, I had no money either as the account had been cleared, but I bought insurance, I did not want another legal mess to be in the middle of.

If I was the op I would make sure she knows rego has been cancelled and do not drive the car, think of how it may look to the court.

Just IMO