NSW Ex won't return car

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Loumlcat

31 October 2019
Hi my friends paid for a car for their daughter - it's registered in her name. They paid in full, the ex has not contributed any payments. He threw her out of the house they were only living together a few months, and now he will not return the car.

What can my friends do? They asked for police and they said it's a civil matter.

They can cancel the registration can't they? And I spoke with Service NSW and they said he has to have purchase proof to register the car which of course he doesn't have and can't get.

Is that their best course of action?

sammy01

27 September 2015
is the car registered? if so to whom? do you have rego papers to prove this? when is rego due to expire?

Loumlcat

31 October 2019
REgo is in my friends Daughters name and yes we have rego papers. Doesn't expire for a while but Service NSW said she can cancel anytime

sammy01

27 September 2015
Do you have a key? What sort of car. If you have a key, go get the car, then get a club lock from super-cheap auto to stop him stealing it back. You could also talk to a tow truck company. Explain you own the car and want them to get it.
You could inform the ex that you're cancelling the rego in 2 days unless he hands over the car with the keys. Once it is cancelled he risks a fine for driving it.