VIC Ex spent $150k of (mostly my) money, can I get it back?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

daisyduck

4 March 2019
4 year defacto relationship, no kids, 1 disputed property. I supported the ex while they completed a second degree. 70% of the contributions are mine (the entire deposit, 70% of the mortgage while living together, most of the post relationship mortgage repayments - which I made while they lived in the house - with a boarder).

Ex has cleaned out the joint bank accounts to the tune of $150k and is now demanding to buy me out with 1/2 the equity in the house and their lawyer says that the 150k of crazy spending is irrelevant. Is this true? Is the money recoverable?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Is this true? Is the money recoverable?

Not true, and money may be recoverable if it is not spent on consumables (drugs, alcohol, women, gambling etc). Else you do a settlement and say the $150K is part of what the ex would have received under a fair split of the pool.

Either way, get to court asap. You have 2 years from separation to start a family law application. State laws can assist if past the 2 year limit but get help.

Whose name is on the title?

If you need a lawyer, I think you really do, send an email to [email protected] and ask for Rod.