NSW Is De Facto Ex Entitled to My Money?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Flecked

17 July 2018
Background:

We have been in a relationship for 3 years, lived together for 2 years and have a 2-year-old son.

When I entered into the de facto relationship, I had $500k in the bank. 1 year into the relationship, I sold a property, giving me a total of $800k in the bank, which I still have.

We have not bought any property together and have both worked and contributed to the household.

My ex has now informed me she wishes to break up.

Is she entitled to any of my money in the bank?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Maybe some, and that will depend on details not provided here.

Would be wise to avoid any mention of a property split unless she brings it up. Play nice over child support and try to keep things amicable else if she ends up with a lawyer in her ear you may have to spend money defending what you have.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Future needs of your ex
Future needs of your child (is your child in good health?)
What your ex gave up to raise a child
Any promises you made to her relating to jobs/finance/property etc that she relied on to her detriment.

Flecked

17 July 2018
Future needs of your ex
Future needs of your child (is your child in good health?)
What your ex gave up to raise a child
Any promises you made to her relating to jobs/finance/property etc that she relied on to her detriment.
I have been working full time and my ex part time so she has spent more time raising our child than me in that respect, although our child does go to childcare some days also. Our child is in good health and no promises were made re jobs etc.