QLD Emails from Lawyer on ANZAC day

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

algebra07

2 May 2018
Hi just a quick question, lawyers for my ex are hounding me with emails, they even sent them on ANZAC day and he sends them on sunday's is this not illegal?

AllForHer

23 July 2014
No, it's not illegal, what on earth would give you the idea that it's illegal for businesses to send e-mails on public holidays and Sundays?

If you don't want to feel hounded, don't read them until it's convenient for you to do so.

algebra07

2 May 2018
I didn't read it until the following day but they have sent an email this morning claiming I haven't responded and it's been over a week, no doubt they are charging my ex for the letters they are sending which is what I thought was illegal? I would also think that being it was a public holiday that day cannot be included when they say I have had over a week to respond.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
1. Public holidays are immaterial in correspondence from a lawyer because correspondence from a lawyer is not binding, meaning you don't have to reply within the time frame they give you, and in fact, you don't have to reply at all if you don't want, and there's not a thing they can do about that.
2. What your ex's lawyer chooses to charge your ex, is between your ex and your ex's lawyer. Don't worry your little head about whether or not they're allowed to charge for letters sent on public holidays. That's your ex's dispute to take up with them if she wants, not yours.

Lennon

11 September 2014
Why would it be illegal to charge a client for a letter sent on a public holiday? Lots of lawyers work outside normal business hours, which means that lots of lawyers send correspondence outside normal business hours. It's normal.

I assume there are more important issues at play than what day of the week correspondence is sent on. Focus on the big issues, not the completely irrelevant ones.

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
I worked all day on ANZAC Day. You better believe I'm billing for it.