NSW Driving a vehicle with cancelled registration

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

RKN

31 October 2018
My son had his registration cancelled due to unpaid fines. He didn't find out until he was pulled over for it - now he has another fine. Service NSW tells me they don't have to notify you that they have cancelled your registration, but also that he should have got about 4 letters of intent to do so. He had one initial warning letter which listed a range of possible penalties for not paying. Is there any way out of this fine (has now paid previous fines)?

Adam1user

5 January 2018
My son had his registration cancelled due to unpaid fines. He didn't find out until he was pulled over for it - now he has another fine. Service NSW tells me they don't have to notify you that they have cancelled your registration, but also that he should have got about 4 letters of intent to do so. He had one initial warning letter which listed a range of possible penalties for not paying. Is there any way out of this fine (has now paid previous fines)?

I think the only way out is to ask for review and pay for the original fines and show that it was an honest mistake, if are not able to convince that is it an honest mistake, I don't he has a chance. As he has fines, it means he does not have a good driving record, all he can do is rely on it's an honest mistake.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Adam1user said:
...all he can do is rely on it's an honest mistake.
He doesn't even have that.
The usual reply to claims like "...but I never got the letter",
let alone "...I didn't know..." is that they simply don't wash.

It's important to understand that cancellation of a licence or rego is an administrative action,
not a court outcome.
Typically, RMS will cancel a licence first, before they cancel a rego.
Ask him about that....

It can be possible to have his licence and rego reinstated, after arranging to make payments by instalments.
Have a read of this.