NSW Dogs

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Sandy1

18 April 2020
While walking my dog, it attacked a cat that was on the street. He let go of it & the cat ran off down into the storm water. I don't know who owns the cat. If the owner saw it happen am I responsible to pay for injuries?

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
Yes. You are responsible for keeping your dog under control at all times in public, and are liable for injuries which it causes to people or animals. You can also be fined for failing to have effective control - I understand up to $1,100 (or $11,000 if your dog has been declared a dangerous dog).

If your dog has a tendency to pursue and attack other animals, I suggest you get appropriate obedience lessons, ensure a proper control lead, have someone suitably in control walking them, and invest in a muzzle.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
What @Rob Legat - SBPL said.

In NSW, there's a bit of law called the Companion Animals Act 1998 (NSW).
This act requires a person to have dogs in their care under "effective control".

The act also provides both for civil liability of the dog's human, and, separately,
for various offences that are committed by the dog's human
when a dog attacks.

So, in short and simple, a dog's human can be sued for damage the dog does, and
separately prosecuted for failing to control then dog in the first place.