QLD Divorce - Will Selling of Property Investment Affect Child Support?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Joe62

18 February 2016
Hi, just a quick question.

I've been divorced for 14 years now, paying child support on time and through CSA each month. I purchased a property a few years after the divorce in my name only as my principal place of residence for a number of years then converted it to a property investment which it is now.

I'm thinking about selling it and wondering how that will affect my child support assessment. I would prefer it not affect the child support assessment, i.e having to pay more but cannot find the rules surrounding property/assets under the CSA guidelines. Only seems to include property settlement information at the time of divorce - this is property purchased a number of years after the divorce.

Thanks

AllForHer

23 July 2014
I'm fairly certain that child support is determined only on taxable income for each financial year, so whatever your taxable income is after the investment property, etc. has been taken into consideration, that's what they will use to determine your child support payments.

Anyone else have any views?

Reactions: Joe62

Joe62

18 February 2016
I'm fairly certain that child support is determined only on taxable income for each financial year, so whatever your taxable income is after the investment property etc. has been taken into consideration, that's what they will use to determine your child support payments.

Anyone else have any views?
Thank you so much. That makes sense - it's just hard finding that information anywhere official online. Cheers