Australia's #1 for Law

Join 11,000+ Australians. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, Want peace of mind with personalised legal advice today? Visit LawTap to find the right Australian lawyer and book online instantly.

VIC Property Valuation after Separation and Divorce

Discussion in 'Family Law Forum' started by Baz, 17 August 2014.

1. Baz

Baz Member

Hi. I was married in 2000. In Aug 2007, I purchased a property "in my name only" for $150K , $7k deposit and the rest is a home loan. In Oct 2007 (that is 2 months after property purchase) I separated from my wife and moved out. I am paying child support since then for 2 kids.

In Aug 2014 we got a divorce. My property is now worth 300K.

In a property settlement, does the judge consider my equity of the property at the time of separation in 2007 ( 7K) or at the time of divorce in 2014 ( 157k) ?

Thanks

2. Sarah J

Sarah J Well-Known Member

Hi Baz,

There are a number of threads that talk about property settlement in separations/divorce situations.

In short, the Family Court will look at, amongst other things:
    - What you have contributed to the house (including at time of purchase, mortgage repayments, maintenance)
    - Loan repayments (who contributed and from where)
    - Any support your wife gave to you during this time
    - Value of the asset now
    - Each partner's income and contribution to shared costs (household, children, bills etc)
    - Child support

I would suggest having a read at these other LawAnswers Family Law threads (compiled by @rebeccag):
    - "Property Settlement if I Got a Divorce"
    - "Separation and Selling Family Home"
    - "New Husband wants half of everything - Where do I stand?"

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...