Difference Between National Police Clearance and Australian Federal Police (AFP) Clearance?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

ngt11

4 July 2014
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if there is a difference between a Victorian National Police Clearance and a AFP (Australian Federal Police) one?

If there is a conviction without guilt, will that show on the AFP one?

It would show on the Victorian one?

Thanks

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
The report will reflect the content about you from all police databases nationwide.
So you will not be able to conceal convictions in Queensland from, say,
a prospective employer in Victoria.

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
What are you worried about exactly?

Jimmy Bond

2 March 2017
Hi,

I was wondering if there was any further answers to this?

I have recently had a pre-employment check done on me. I did my own check as I had a minor conviction over 12 months ago and wanted to see if it was on any checks. I used a company called National Crime Check and it came back negative, however the company have used the proper Federal Police check.

Will they have greater visibility or will the same results come back?

Jimmy Bond

2 March 2017
Hi everyone,

Is this a bit of a daft question I'm asking here or are people just not aware of any differences?

Cheers

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
My understanding is:

- National Police Check looks at all state police records for any convictions under state laws;

- AFP checks look at Commonwealth police records for conviction under federal laws.

Two completely separate things.

Jimmy Bond

2 March 2017
So if there are zero disclosable court outcomes on the National Police check there will be none on the Federal one as I've never had a conviction anywhere in the commonwealth.

Does that make sense?

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
This is what the AFP check covers:

• residents of the Australian Capital Territory (ACT), Jervis Bay Territory and external Commonwealth territories
  • people seeking employment with the Commonwealth Government
  • people requiring a check under Commonwealth legislation
  • Australian immigration purposes
  • where the applicant resides overseas
  • overseas employment
  • overseas adoption
  • visa applications for overseas travel.
If you're not one of these people, and haven't breached Commonwealth legislation, it should be clear.

Reactions: Jimmy Bond

Jimmy Bond

2 March 2017
I am an applicant riding overseas and it is in regard to overseas employment but I'm hoping that if the national police check came back clear then hopefully the Federal one will as well.

Thanks very much for your help here Rob. It is very much appreciated. You have put my mind at rest a little bit more.

Thank you.