NSW Default Judgement Notices from Strata Sent to Wrong Address?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

stives

23 June 2016
Hi there,

Last week my father received a text message from a law firm stating that if we want to prevent further legal action, please contact them. When we called them they told us that we owe Strata $7164, $3k in Strata levies and $4k in "Administrative Legal Debt Recoveries" to our surprise.

Turns out they've been sending levy notices and legal action letters to our old address, which we moved away from in 2013. Now they've entered into default judgement against us. We've communicated to the law firm through email and they told us that if we pay the full fee we will prevent further legal action.

To me, the $3k in levies is completely fair and we are prepared to pay but the $4k is ridiculous as we have never received any of these letters. Strata have also previously sent us levy notices in 2013 to our current address so they must know that is where we live, but somehow from 2014 they began sending to our old address?

We are a low-income family, and $4k is a lot of financial stress for us.

I appreciate any opinions you guys have to help our situation.

Thank you

Victoria S

9 April 2014
In order to get default judgement against you, they need to have proven to the court that they validly served you with the claim. If you didn't receive it then you may have a basis to overturn the default judgement, but that would require making a further application to the court.