NSW Cyberbullying? Annoyance of a troll account on Facebook

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
13 June 2017
A quick question here.

I have be bothered by this guy on one of my family members group of friends. Roughly speaking he's been rather nasty and trolling anything posted, I had thought I put him on a block list after reporting him to Facebook several times (but apparently I hadn't or he's opened a new account).

He was generally nasty and insulting to people commenting on my family members' post, though he is not local he's in the UK.

After posting a few days ago he reared his head again, I thought I was being civil but the posts escalated to where he accused me of hacking into his Facebook account. This is untrue on two parts, first I wouldn't know how to do that and secondly I've only ever reported his account a few times that day for posts before blocking him.

On the second time I reported my account was triggered with a password reset (this has been a common occurrence for my FB account due to running apps on my iPad, my phone, computers and iPod Touch, it's an annoyance I live with) which I easily reset (no problems) but he's accusing me of hacking where I don't understand why/how because I have only ever reported his account to Facebook.

So I have taken the following steps:
- Block
- Reported the account to Facebook for review (I actually don't believe it is a real account).
- Spoke with Facebook support for their advice.

I was hoping for a some advice due to the annoyance and stress this has caused me. All I would like to know is that there's some sort of action I can do to ultimately protect myself, because this had upset me.

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi Shamus,
So you have stated what he is doing is an annoyance and he is in another country. I honestly think you have done all you can unless it gets threatening and even then is it a real threat when he lives in the UK.

13 June 2017
Thank you for the fast reply.

I wasn't too sure what to do since he did accuse me of hacking, so was hoping I could block and forget the whole experience...