Australia's #1 for Law

Join 11,000+ Australians. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, Want peace of mind with personalised and confidential legal advice today? Visit LawTap to find the right Australian lawyer and book online instantly.

ACT Consent Orders - Can Ex Refuse to Facilitate Makeup Time?

Discussion in 'Family Law Forum' started by mierd, 22 June 2016.

1. mierd

mierd Active Member

I currently have final consent orders in place for parenting of my children. There is a clause that states:

"in the event that X is unable to spend time with the children pursuant to these orders, X shall notify Y no less t,hen two weeks prior in writing and nominate a proposal for make-up time."

I have proposed on two occasions for make-up time for three days which I have missed. The other party has replied in writing that whilst I can propose make-up time, they (the other party) do not have to make up all missed time.

Is this an accurate and correct interpretation of the order? I.e., that I can propose dates for make-up time, but Y is within their right to refuse my proposed dates per the final orders?

Thanks for your help

2. AllForHer

AllForHer Well-Known Member

I would say the other party has a valid argument. A proposal, under the ordinary meaning, is a suggestion, but there's nothing to indicate the other party must accept the suggestion made.

If the opportunity ever arises, you might consider changing the order to give effect to the make-up time occurring on a time and date nominated by X, conditional on notice of make-up time not occurring less than four weeks prior to the nominated make-up time and date.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...