- Australia's #1 Legal Community is a community of 10,000+ Australians, just like you, helping each other.
Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
Join us, it only takes a minute:

NT Company Doesn't Pay Debt for My Services - Options?

Discussion in 'Debt and Bankruptcy Law Forum' started by Julius222, 6 January 2016.

Find a Lawyer Form
Find a Lawyer Form
Find a Lawyer Form
  1. Julius222

Julius222 Member

6 January 2016

This is my first post.

I am a pensioner trying to earn a little extra by cleaning for other companies. One person/company I have worked for owes me about $1400. He keeps promising payment of the debt but it never comes.

Worse, he paid $680 by cheque and the cheque just bounced. Worse still is the bank part cleared the cheque and I spent $500 of it.

It is a small amount, maybe too small to chase? But in my circumstances, it is very important.

What are my options?

BTW, from what I have learned, he rips off everyone that cleans for him. Am I entitled to advertise his name and/or company and asking for others he has not paid to come forward with a view to collectively taking him to court?
  2. Sophea

Sophea Well-Known Member

16 April 2014
    All debt collection proceedings start with something that you can do yourself and which may fix your problem. Send a letter of demand which provides a date by which the debt is to be paid by and threatening legal action if the debt is not paid.

Check out this about how to write a letter of demand: How to Recover a Debt - Useful Tips - Legal Blog -
  3. Tim W

Tim W Lawyer

28 April 2014

Clarify for me - debt, or unpaid wages?

Forget "getting together with others" - too hard, and people can be either too cowardly, or just too flaky.
    Look out for yourself, and leave others' problems to others.