SA Charged for shoplifting, pleaded guilty,what now?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Amy2017

28 April 2017
Have no criminal record. My first offence did the most stupid thing in a wrong state of mind. Last week went to a shopping center and Picked up clothes mostly baby clothes from multiple shops without paying. Total items worth arround $400. Police charged me for theft and banned from the shopping center for 12 months. Said they would send the summons. Yesterday the officer came to my address for Dna sample. I was dreaded but Gave without hesitation.
I too guilty for what i did although it was intentional nor i was prepared to do something like this ever. I still dont understand what made me do this. I am very remorseful for what i've done and never ever do something like this in future. Worst part is i cannot Speak About this to anyone not even my husband cuz i fear he would leave me after knowing about this. i have a baby and i am unable to face both of them with this guilt its killing me from inside. Please help me.
My question is
-Do they take dna sample for everyone charged with shoplifting or was it just me as they consider it very serious?
-When will i receive my summons?
-what are my chances for having no conviction recorded ?
Please need advice.

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi Amy,
I'm not sure I will be of much help other than to say if you were caught red handed and admitted guilt I'm at a loss to know why they took DNA samples unless they are trying to link you to other crimes. You took baby clothes so I'm guessing you are a new mum? My wife is a midwife and a lawyer and has spoken to me in the past of the stresses of postnatal depression. You should speak to your husband. While I would be confused and upset if my wife came to me about this I would try to understand. He will find out if you receive a fine or worse. You should have legal representation and that will cost money. We are all human and we make mistakes but you need someone to paint the right picture to the court. If they can explain to the court that this is a one off lapse of judgement because of life stresses then you may be able to have no conviction recorded.

sammy01

27 September 2015
first offence - you'll get away with a warning - Section 10 good behaviour bond

Reactions: Lance

Amy2017

28 April 2017
Hi Amy,
I'm not sure I will be of much help other than to say if you were caught red handed and admitted guilt I'm at a loss to know why they took DNA samples unless they are trying to link you to other crimes. You took baby clothes so I'm guessing you are a new mum? My wife is a midwife and a lawyer and has spoken to me in the past of the stresses of postnatal depression. You should speak to your husband. While I would be confused and upset if my wife came to me about this I would try to understand. He will find out if you receive a fine or worse. You should have legal representation and that will cost money. We are all human and we make mistakes but you need someone to paint the right picture to the court. If they can explain to the court that this is a one off lapse of judgement because of life stresses then you may be able to have no conviction recorded.
I confesses to my husband yesterday and i can't be thankful enough that he understood me and has forgiven me for my sin. Yes i suffered postnatal depression for which i was also on medication. The feeling of being lonely here without family almost killed me everyday. Idk how far it resulted in committing this sin.
I'm just a simple house wife leading a low profile simple life without any controversies. I wonder what the police is doing with my dna sample? im afraid they will link me with other crimes although I am innocent. Is it possible the police here can charge you for something you haven't done?

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi Amy,
Good work telling your husband. You need his support through this and trying to hide it would have eaten away at you. If this is the only thing you have done wrong, don't stress about the DNA test. Just because they took your DNA doesn't mean they will link it to anything. Have you contacted a lawyer? You can find a lawyer in your area at: https://lawtap.com/au/
With what Sammy said I agree that you should you should be able to get a favourable court outcome for a first offence and especially supported by post natal depression diagnosis (which it sounds like you have). I'm not sure if you can get a section 10, I'm pretty sure that is a NSW Crimes (sentencing procedure) Act 1999 which allows a court that finds you guilty of an offence to discharge you without a conviction. Don't stress, I would argue that you didn't commit a sin, you made a mistake. Have a talk to a doctor about your depression as well, there is no shame in admitting we need help. Take care.