QLD Mental Health Issues - Charged with Shoplifting?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
22 July 2019
Hi, I'm wanting help on how to handle this matter. I have a number of mental health issues, ptsd and dissociative episodes and am on medication.

Last week, I was shopping and from family friends accounts I wasn’t being myself for over 2 weeks worse than usual. Long story short, I bought items from the store, but lost chunk of time and did some odd things I couldn’t really answer for.

I was arrested for shoplifting, I didn’t have the product on me, it was later found in the bag wrapped up with other bought items and I don’t recall going to my car. I was told I had been seen removing item from its box and putting it back in basket then later on shelf. I was seen putting something in my bag which I can only believe as my phone and removing my wallet.

I was on my medication and had somehow spent 2 hours inside said shop..the item I took I thought I bought as I had means and intention to purchase my issue is that a) there're chunks of time like I get where I lose time and memory.. they found item charged me with stealing I was as confused and surprised and just as eager to know if I did, in fact, have the product. I will plead guilty can’t fight the evidence but I never meant to do it or aware of doing it.

Unfortunately 3 years ago, I have a similar charge but despite being advised of going to trial to drop it as my ex who I was in a violent relationship with had in sorts set me up...I owned responsibility. I’ve not been in trouble since and I’m terrified of getting a conviction and also worried I got a stealing charge over a shoplifting one. I also wasn’t in my right.

Mind and have been reconnecting prior to get help again. Do I contact the store and explain? What do I do? What should I do to prepare? I’m really worried. Any help will do. Thank you

naannana

3 November 2020
Vancouver
I also had a lot of mental illness, but the worst was when I was in depression. At that time, I had no desire to wake up, I couldn't interact with other people, and I was afraid to go outside. Thankfully I found the solution one day while searching on the internet, I found out about kratom. I read a lot of information about kratom, and even though I was afraid to take it, I decided to buy kratom. That was the right decision as kratom helped me instantly, and now I fell foul of power and happiness.

Jaywoo220

11 November 2019
S32 application but not worth it for shoplifting offence where you would probably get section 10 if explained correctly to court.