NSW Friend Charged for Possession of Drugs - Options Under Criminal Law?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Canpoledance

2 January 2016
I have a friend who has been to court once charged I believe with possession of drugs, 5 g of methamphetamine on the 16/12/2015. She is now in jail until the 3/2/2016 for sentencing. She is Korean; her English is not great. Is this normal? Also is it possible to get her released on bail?

I've even heard of people with similar offences being able to just visit a police station once a day for a check in until there's a sentencing date. I just believe this seems to be extreme considering it's her first offence.

Any answers relating to Criminal Law would be fantastic or a guide to what can be done.

JS79

2 October 2015
Perth
According to NSW law, 3g is considered a traffickable amount of methamphetamines. The 5g will carry a presumption that she was trafficking and she will have to rebut that presumption or she is up for the maximum penalty - up to 15 years imprisonment.

JS79

2 October 2015
Perth
Did she instruct her lawyers to apply for bail? (assuming she has a lawyer)
if she doesnt have a lawyer - she needs one asap!

Reactions: Tim W

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
If she's a Korean national then she's probably a flight risk.
The court may have refused bail (even if there was an application) in order to keep her in Australia
so that she can have her matter dealt with.

There are some first class lawyers in NSW with Korean background.
You can find Korean speaking lawyers using this.