Need help with mdma charge

Discussion in 'Criminal Law Forum' started by Elevae, 11 October 2018.

Tags:
  1. Elevae

Elevae Member

My son was caught with 26 MDMA pills (one bag with 16, one bag with 10) last month and his court date is coming up. He had a history with the police officer that caught him and he assisted him with some information. I just need to know if he would be looking at getting jail time or if he would be able to get off with a CCO or community service. He has already had two charges to do with small amounts of marijuanna (less than 2g) and has had both of his drug diversions. I believe he has already pleaded guilty to possession.

2. Tim W

Tim W Lawyer
    LawTap Verified

History is relevant to penalty, yes.

A plea of guilty will attract a "discount" on the penalty for the offence.
    Basically, it's a discount for saving everyone the trouble of a trial.

Sentencing is a complex black art, and much depends on the facts and circumstances
    of the offence and the offender, none of which are not available to us here.
    In simple language - we can't tell if he's going to gaol or not, but it's not out of the question.

The most helpful thing you can do for your son is help him
    pay for a good barrister who can make good submissions on sentence.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Tony Danos

Tony Danos Lawyer
    LawTap Verified

With good and comprehensive preparation he should avoid gaol. Get an experienced lawyer.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Tim W likes this.
  4. Shane888

Shane888 Active Member

Dear Sir, My questions please:
    1 - What kind of an average sentence would someone get for this? Do I go to jail? Or do I get a none'-jail punishment? (My only history is one time being caught with very little and being given a diversion order and no conviction).
    2 - Is there is any way or chance for me to get another diversion even when the amount of MDMA is too big?
    (I am on Centrelink and cannot afford a lawyer but will go to talk to legal aid)
    Thanks!