Australia's #1 for Law

Join 11,000+ Australians. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, Want peace of mind with personalised and confidential legal advice today? Visit LawTap to find the right Australian lawyer and book online instantly.

QLD Caught Shoplifting - Will I Need Legal Aid?

Discussion in 'Criminal Law Forum' started by areteeex, 28 December 2015.

  1. areteeex

    areteeex Member

    28 December 2015
    Likes Received:
    Hi there,

    I'm a 19-year-old uni student who has been caught and arrested for shoplifting. 5 Pairs of Socks and 4 Notebooks.

    I've been given a 5-year ban to the whole chain of stores in Australia, and a 1-year ban to the shopping centre for which I work in (different store from the one I shoplifted from). I will now have to quit my job, not just because of the ban, but because of embarrassment too.

    I plan on pleading guilty as I know I've done the wrong thing, and the charges are a reflection of what I did. I'm so embarrassed and am filled with remorse. My curiosity got the better of me and I'm scared that because of this, my future career and study prospects will fly out the window.

    I've never been to court before. My main concern is what I may be prosecuted with under Criminal Law, and if I have any chance of not getting the conviction recorded.

    I'm also not sure if I should seek legal aid. I feel as if I could represent myself as there's not much complication to the case, but like I mentioned, I'm not familiar with going to court so I might not be the best to judge whether I need a lawyer or not.
  2. Rod

    Rod Well-Known Member

    27 May 2014
    Likes Received:
    Do not quit work yet unless you either don't need the money or have found another job. Not sure that the shopping centre can ban you if you work at another store. Needs someone with better knowledge to answer this part of your issue.

    If you intend to plead guilty, which sounds like a sensible thing to do as you've already admitted to the offence, then just turn up to court, dress well, plead guilty, show remorse, respect to the court etc and ask for leniency. For simple cases like this you can ask to see legal aid on the day.
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. JS79

    JS79 Well-Known Member

    2 October 2015
    Likes Received:
    In court you can look at asking the magistrate for a spent conviction - ask the duty lawyer or your legal aid lawyer to ask for this. That way it will not be disclosed to any employer.
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...

Share This Page