NSW Got Caught Shoplifting and Ran - What will Happen?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
G

Grazy

I got caught shoplifting and while a security guard was away, I walked away.

I put an item in my bag and I purchased an item with my debit and as I was leaving the store, the guard asked me to check my bag and I got caught. I wonder if they can call a bank and get my info to report the police. Or will the bank not give them my info, since it is private?

I am an international visitor (leaving soon). I have a different address from the one the bank has and the bank has my copy of my passport and the guard took the item I intended to steal...

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Yes, that data can be used to find you.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
All the information they have can potentially be used to help find you.
I can't speculate on how likely it is that the police will become involved,
but it is always possible.

G

Grazy

All the information they have can potentially be used to help find you.
I can't speculate on how likely it is that the police will become involved,
but it is always possible.

Awww then what will happen next if I will be reported?

I am currently on a working holiday visa and I am going back soon and I have a different address from the one the bank has.

How can they be sure the cardholder on a camera is me?

AllForHer

23 July 2014
Because the time on the CCTV footage will match up with the time stamp on the debit transaction?

SamanthaJay

4 July 2016
I think you've posted in the wrong area but I see two options.

1. Go back to the shop and explain you walked away in confusion and was there any further proceedure required?
OR
2. Take your chances, go to get on your plane when you are leaving Australia and one of two things will happen...they'll catch up with you then and you'll learn your fate or you'll get on the plane with them none the wiser and Australia's data matching is not working (or the shop did not press charges) or it is working, but slowly, and if you try to come back to Australia in the future, you'll be pulled aside then and possibly denied entry. Sent on the next plane home.

G

Grazy

Yes, I am on a working holiday visa and I am leaving soon within a month. And yesterday, I got caught shoplifting after I paid small item with my debit. So stupid, I know, but I was too scared so while they told me to wait at door, I walked away. Nobody stopped me.

I am so scared that I won't be able to fly back and If they report me to police. They have my debit info, but info my address is currently different from the one the bank has. I just wanna know what happens if they report me to the police with my debit info and me on a video tape.

No police called while I was standing at the door...

I have no previous criminal record.

G

Grazy

I think you've posted in the wrong area but I see two options.

1. Go back to the shop and explain you walked away in confusion and was there any further proceedure required?
OR
2. Take your chances, go to get on your plane when you are leaving Australia and one of two things will happen...they'll catch up with you then and you'll learn your fate or you'll get on the plane with them none the wiser and Australia's data matching is not working (or the shop did not press charges) or it is working, but slowly, and if you try to come back to Australia in the future, you'll be pulled aside then and possibly denied entry. Sent on the next plane home.

Thanks but won't the police let me know if I have been reported?