Australia's #1 for Law

Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

QLD Car Towed - Paid to Get It Back

Discussion in 'Traffic Law Forum' started by Gemmarama, 22 June 2015.

Tags:
  1. applettt

applettt Active Member

Also Jimmypatto, if you don't mind I will print out your messages and try to present them as part of evidence. Keep in touch, thanks heaps

B Roebuck likes this.
  2. B Roebuck

B Roebuck Active Member

Thanks - will try this!

3. Meagan Jeffrey

Could you please give some help? We too had our car towed on Sunday evening by Cactus Towing and were made to pay $660.

My husband parked for no more than 10 mins, returned to car as it was being loaded onto the truck. Disabled parking permit on display and the tow truck driver didn't care. We want to dispute this but not sure how? Can you please assist us?

Thank you

illy2000 and B Roebuck like this.
  4. B Roebuck

B Roebuck Active Member

These people are absolute low life mindless pigs - they really don't care about anyone only making money. I can only suggest you follow the advise given by Jimmypatto above.

I need to do that but I am a pensioner and really don't have any money, these people capitalise on the fact that it costs money to fight and don't care. I will try to follow the suggestion too.

A class action against them would be grand, if someone knowledgeable could get this all happening, I will be right there behind them.

5. illy2000

illy2000 Active Member

I think media would love to hear about this one - try contacting cos@thecouriermail.com.au. I'd also let them know about this page and that a class action is being looked into. Happy to lend a hand with this.

6. illy2000

illy2000 Active Member

Hi all,

Just an update - I've just lodged a QCAT claim against Cactus. Currently looking into ways to serve them so I don't have to hand deliver the notice myself. If anyone has any solutions on this, I'd love to hear about it. I really don't feel safe going back there again.

My lawyer suggested the best way to get these guys to stop if for everyone to make QCAT claims against them.

B Roebuck likes this.
  7. Rod

Rod Well-Known Member

Use a process server.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Salix

Salix Member

My sister's car was stolen and held for ransom today by tow truck company in Brisbane with no real explanation as to why it was taken. She was legally parked in a 2 hour parking zone at a 7/11, for well under 2 hours. No signage other than that it was a 2 hour parking zone. She returned to car missing and was about to call police when she saw a tow truck was there loading a nearby car she went over to ask if they'd seen what happened to her car and they said they'd taken it.

They charged her a min 'fee' of $450 (they said if she didn't pay that, then it would get more expensive) to get it back. It seems they were lurking nearby watching her until she was out of sight of the vehicle before quickly pouncing and having it gone before her return. Their explanation was she shouldn't have left her vehicle!

She is terribly upset after the intimidating and unjust experience of basically being robbed. This thread is really all I can find but still not sure what to do. I think she should report it to police as there was no legal reason for them to have touched her car let alone charge hundreds of dollars?

9. Ra02

Ra02 Active Member

Hi all,

My car also got towed from Brunswick central 2 weeks ago. I think it's ridiculous that there's some guy hanging around to watch you cross the road to tow your car. In this instance, we did walk across to have a look at the other restaurants on the other side of Martin st, (which the complex is also called Brunswick central).

Before we walked across, the only thing I could really see in the dark was this big 2 HRS Max sign for parking. We knew we weren't going to be that long. We ended up eating at Toro Bravo. Anyways, when we got back 1 hour later, the car was gone. Had to catch a cab to Breaky Creak Road to collect it. Collection cost was $450.

Date night ruined!

I'm pretty sure this is illegal. But I'm not sure if we should be going after the towing company or the security company that calls them. Brunswick central complex would have some sort of a Body Corporate management company who would have 'by-laws' relating to visitor parking. If we knew the name of this management company or their CTS, then we should be able to serve them with QCAT directly, seeing as they are the ones who have the security company hired for this towing to occur. We might have to do a title search to find the Body Corp who manages the complex..

What are everyone's thought's on this? Does anybody know if what I'm saying is correct? Would be awesome if we could also get the by-laws. I'm almost certain no by-laws out there have this tow if walk away from complex rule in them.

If this body corp follows the BCCM act, then they would actually need to go through the magistrates court to physically remove a car from there. These terms and conditions are just made up... we just need to call them out.

Ad@m and B Roebuck like this.
  10. illy2000

illy2000 Active Member

Thanks - will do and add the cost to my claim.

JaneT58 likes this.