QLD Car Towed - Paid to Get It Back

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Willie

17 May 2016
I would like to join in group action as well please - two cars towed at the same time. How do we provide info?

Reactions: parker

parker

12 July 2016
Hello to recent members, there is a Facebook page with details on how to contact 'JohnMerivale', I will quote his post from page 8 in it's entirety:
Ok to everyone affected, I cannot disclose any form of contact details or identifying details, however, there's facebook page titled "Cactus Towing" in which things can be discussed with identifying detail. Cactus Towing

Please if you have been affected please visit the page.

He seems to have stopped posting here though, along with anyone else who was hoping to take action. I made contact but he requested that I send a scanned copy of my Cactus towing invoice which I haven't been able to manage yet (I don't own my own scanner) so haven't been able to verify who is is/what he's offering.

Reactions: Gjustice and Gutted

parker

12 July 2016
And Willie, two cars at once? Ouch - My sympathies, I am still suffering financially after having to retrieve my own car (which is barely worth $660 to begin with...)

Reactions: Gutted

Gutted

15 July 2016
Unfortunately, the tow company that took my car isn't the same as the one John Merivale talks about, even though all the unethical and dodgy things are exactly the same. The tow company that towed my vehicle has had several name changes and Abn changes in quick succession and the receipt that I was given didn't even have a current phone number, address, etc

Gutted

15 July 2016
Sorry Parker, I think my phone is playing up. Picked up in Hope St. South Brisbane. Car was taken to some dodgy, dimly lit unmarked place in Newstead.

Sam01

23 July 2016
Same thing for me. Got towed today, 660 fee, absolute extortion. Looked at the act which says they can charge 'reasonable fee' for non car accident tows. I don't think $660 is reasonable. Would happily join a class action.

Reactions: Scrooge

Sam01

23 July 2016
Same thing for me. Got towed today, 660 fee, absolute extortion. Looked at the act which says they can charge 'reasonable fee' for non car accident tows. I don't think $660 is reasonable. Would happily join a class action.
Was towed from Fortitude Valley to a location in Albion

parker

12 July 2016
The most interesting this I have learned is a rumor (for now) that the property on the corner of Winn and McLachlan street is leased by yours truly Cactus Towing? This just can't be right? I have and will continue to speak to neighbouring businesses and hopefully the property owner to find out if they do in fact have a lease on this property?

I can confirm that this is correct; 2/52 McLachlan Street is leased by Cactus Towing. I checked today and it's printed right there on the door.

There are a number of surveillance cameras in operation, I would strongly suspect that one of these is trained upon the parking spaces up that end of the carpark.

A (very) small consolation I suppose: I managed to prevent the owners of two cars from being out $660 each in the exact same spot this afternoon. Lucky timing for them.

Reactions: Gutted

Gutted

15 July 2016
I can confirm that this is correct; 2/52 McLachlan Street is leased by Cactus Towing. I checked today and it's printed right there on the door.

There are a number of surveillance cameras in operation, I would strongly suspect that one of these is trained upon the parking spaces up that end of the carpark.

A (very) small consolation I suppose: I managed to prevent the owners of two cars from being out $660 each in the exact same spot this afternoon. Lucky timing for them.
Good to hear there has been prevention in action because by the time people have found this forum it is probably too late for them