NSW Car Stolen When Unlocked with Keys Inside - Car Insurance Chances?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Danno

3 March 2015
Hi. My car was stolen and later found dumped in the river. It is more than likely a write-off. I think I left the keys to the car on the passenger's seat when it was taken. I also think it was unlocked. I have told my car insurance company this, but have now been told by friends that I will not be paid out because of the keys etc.. Is that true and what are my chances?

Sarah J

16 July 2014
Melbourne, Victoria
Hi Danno,

Every insurance company and plan has different policies/rules. The policies/rules are decided by the insurance company. Therefore, you will need to read the insurance terms to your insurance plan.

However, most insurance plans have a term that requires the insured to take care of their cars and take reasonable precautions (e.g. not letting a toddler drive the car, or not leaving car unlocked and unattended). Further, most policies require the insured to lock their cars and take reasonable measures to prevent theft. This is also common in house & content insurance where insurance is usually void if the owner leaves windows or doors unlocked and the house is latter broken into.

Reactions: Sophea

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Ask the insurer...?

S

Sophea

I agree with Sarah, check with the insurer whether it will affect your claim but in my experience many insurance policies for vehicle theft are avoid if car was stolen when unlocked etc.