Car Stolen but Car Insurance Claim Denied

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Coolio

28 May 2014
Our car was stolen from a shopping centre, found the next morning totally burnt out.

The claim has been investigated and since denied. The car insurance company state they are unable to accept the claim as CCTV footage from the shopping centre clearly shows our involvement in organising the "theft".

Apparently in the footage I approached the car park area several times and I had been on my mobile phone and had not mentioned these phone calls to the investigator.

I want to dispute this but I find it difficult to retrace all my movements from that night as I was just out of surgery and medicated. Can I ask the insurance company to release this footage to me?

Regards.

Paul Cott

LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
26 May 2014
Ballarat, Victoria
Coolio, ask the insurance company for the footage. Also at the same time say in detail why you were not part of a scam. If you don't get satisfactory answers, the Financial Ombudsman Service may be able to assist if you are not having satisfactory dealings with the insurers.

Reactions: John R