NSW Car park incident, I have received lawyer's letter demanding $9,448.68

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

ukskim

17 February 2024
Hi,
I don't know where to ask about this.

I had a bump accident at a car park in the marketplace. It was 23 Oct last year. I parked my car and received text messages at the same time.
I returned the text message forgetting lock the hand break. So, the car slowly moved and bumped the front car. I braked my car, and it made a big noise.
I left the phone number in the front car and went to shopping. There were group of Chinese market sellers around the car parked and showed me all the old damages the car had, and it was due to the bump incident with my car. So, I told them will call the police but the ticket ranger around the scene told me Police can't do anything with this. Therefore, I gave my driver's license and left my number and tell them contact to me. But after a while they didn't contact to me, so I thought It was minor thing so they didn't bother it. But after 4 months' time, I have received lawyer's letter demanding $9448.68 including smash repairs invoice and rental car. I didn't give my insurance details because I thought it was so minor to fix without insurance. I think it was my fault not giving them my insurance details.
Long story to short, is there anything I can do?
Please, give any ideas, thoughts or input are welcome.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Refer it to your insurer.
You'll be paying the excess, at least

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney